Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kuriya Penthouse (Orchard Central)

Address: 181 Orchard Road, #12-02 Orchard Central, Singapore 228896

Tel: 6509 4222

Website: http://www.res.com.sg/restaurants.php

Rough cost: About $100 per person

Why it is romantic: There are not many restaurants that can get me excited to write about the very next day and this is 1 restaurant. Kuriya is a Japanese fine dining restaurant. My first time to a Japanese fine dining place. Wonderful experience! I went during lunch time when it was not very crowded. When I first arrived at the restaurant, there was more than 1 friendly staff who greeted me and showed me the way for the welcome drink. How many restaurants have that? Then they will let you choose your main course and move you to the main dining area for your main course. I ordered a tempura set, which comes with an appetitiser, a plate of sashimi and also free flow of dessert. The appetitiser is cod fish, which is very fresh. When the sashimi is served, the service staff will tell you which sauce is for which item. The tempura was great! Most of the time, it is either too much flour or too much egg for the batter. But the texture for this is just right. Light and not overwhelming. The ingredients used were fresh. Throughout the whole time, the staff will walk by to see if you require anything. Like my bf was drinking a lot of the green tea, hence they came to top up. They do not come over to pour, but rather they replaced the cup, so that your tea is always hot. For me, the tempura was rather big, hence I was struggling a bit when I eat, the staff came with a saucer and cutlery (fork and knife). The manager and the service staff will come and make small talks to ensure that everything was fine. Service level - full marks! After the main course, they will asher you to the chillout area to have your dessert. They display a range of green tea, mango, chocolate, caramel, etc for your selection. Up to you to take how many you want. I have to say the dessert are good too! Oh! Did I forget to tell you about their drinks too? I was looking through the drinks menu, they have an interesting selection, which includes sake at about $600/ bottle and also $15 for a beer cocktail. Interesting huh! Beer cocktail! 1 of the mixture is beer and tomato juice. This place is impressive to bring a girl for a first date or for special occasions. But be prepared to pay. For me, I won a contest worth $200 of Kuriya dining voucher, which offsets the meal. :)

Romantic factor: 4/5 You can choose to sit by the window or chillout at the bar outside later on. Quiet enough for your sweet nothings whispering, but you will be mindful of some interruptions by service staff, who are trying to ensure that everything is fine for you. It is a rooftop garden location, so interesting view!

No comments:

Post a Comment